Just when I thought I was going to get lucky and sneak through winter without getting sick… whammo. In a matter of hours I went from feeling great to foggy-headed, achy, and oh hello sinuses. Yes I remember you.
I’ve learned that it takes a serious game plan to make it through cold season without turning into a grumpy troll, so here’s my cold and flu season survival kit!
- I turn to tea whether I have stomachaches or headaches, so naturally tea is my first go-to for colds. THIS cold season sampler by Yogi comes with a variety of teas. I especially like the cold season immune support and the throat comfort.
- Take your vitamins and eat your superfoods! Chia seed has loads of healthy fats, fiber, and protein – which the body needs plenty of if it’s going to conquer this cold in record time. I buy THIS chia seed by Bob’s Red Mill.
- Let’s face it, colds bring out the mouth breather in all of us. THIS lip balm by Burt’s Bees keeps my lips from cracking and the peppermint is always a welcome scent to my angry sinuses.
- THESE babies are glued to my hip when I’m battling a cold. Spend a little extra and get the lotion-infused tissues.
- A sore throat + fruit popsicles = the best thing since microfleece blankets were invented. I recommend making them yourself to avoid the extra sugar – just put a couple pieces of cut fruit in a paper cup or popsicle mold, pour 100% fruit juice over until full, add a popsicle stick, freeze, voila. THIS recipe is also handy-dandy.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. And if you’re feeling queasy, try sipping carbonated mineral water. THIS article provides some interesting insight into the debate over whether to drink carbonated water or not.
- Anything with eucalyptus or peppermint, is my friend through a cold. THIS lotion uses a generous amount of real peppermint extract and is my absolute favorite.
- If all else fails, I lean on THIS Theraflu tea to get me through the day. The hot tea is so nice on the throat, and the light dose of acetaminophen helps ease the achiness.